Interested in serving as the ASHE Graduate Student Representative?
As defined by the ASHE By-Laws, there are two graduate representatives with one elected each year to serve a two-year term.
From Article IV, Section 2:
“A director elected each year by the members of the association from the student members to a two-year term. Student members may serve on the board until the conclusion of the last session on the annual conference program following the awarding of their terminal degree, or in the event there is no annual conference in a given year then on the anniversary of that occasion during the previous year.
Traditional responsibilities of ASHE grad role:
- Coordinate and implement graduate-specific programming during annual ASHE conference, including but not limited to:
- Sessions with senior and emerging scholars
- Graduate student lounge
- Graduate-student specific programming
- Graduate student social
- Attend Board of Directors meetings in person twice a year:
- At the annual ASHE conference, typically directly before and/or after the conference
- At a summer Board of Directors retreat, typically 3 days
- Participate in semi-regular ASHE Board of Directors phone calls up to a monthly basis
- Participate in semi-regular meetings with the other Graduate Student Representative
- Coordinate the annual ASHE Grads scholarship process, including developing selection criteria, recruiting applicants, and selecting recipients
- Update and oversee the ASHEgrads website, including selecting and working with the ASHE grads web consultant(s)
- Update and oversee all social media, including ASHEgrads Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Check and respond to communications through the ASHEgrads email account
- Partner with peer organizations to publicize events and coordinate efforts, such as the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Division J Graduate Representatives
Please note that while the ASHE Graduate Representatives have conducted numerous responsibilities in the past, there is also substantial room within the role to develop projects and initiatives as of interest to those within the role.
Time commitment varies per time of year, with increasingly busy involvement in the lead up to and during the annual conference (May-November).
Nominations (including self-nominations!) are currently being accepted for the 2018-2020 ASHE Graduate Student Representative. Email your current reps to learn more about the position (firstname.lastname@example.org) or check out the process here.
ASHE Graduate Committee Involvement
The list below includes some of the initiatives and programs that ASHE graduate members serve. These opportunities for service take place at the the annual conference and throughout the year. We continue to find ways to better communicate and serve our members. If you’re interested in participating in a subgroup, or have an idea for a new initiative to serve the association, please let us know.
If you would like to serve the ASHE graduate community in one of the sub-committees described below, please contact
Graduate Student Sessions
ASHE Graduate Student Session evaluation
Web Consultant and Social Media Initiatives (WordPress, Facebook, Twitter)
Last updated June 13, 2018